Best Materials to Use for Reducing Sound Transmission in Construction

Home » Best Materials to Use for Reducing Sound Transmission in Construction

In Australia, the National Construction Code (NCC) sets acoustic ratings and requirements for partitions for a range of residential and commercial building types. We have a range of interior lining solutions to help with acoustic control, including GTEK plasterboards. Here, we look at the best plasterboard products for reducing sound transmission in building projects in residential and commercial applications.

What does the building code say?

The National Construction Code (NCC) specifies acoustic ratings for buildings to ensure occupants have adequate sound insulation for safe and comfortable living. The acoustic ratings apply to inter-tenancy walls and floors in buildings, including apartments, hotels, student accommodation and aged-care facilities.

What specific requirements are there for rooms?

The required minimum acoustic performance depends on the type of room on each side of the partition. Check the Building Code of Australia’s acoustic requirements to help you determine which plasterboards you need, so you ensure you purchase or specify the correct one. Acoustic control involves the correct design and products in walls and ceilings to control and prevent unwanted transfer of sound. 

Sound Insulation Ratings in Plasterboard

Every partition has a sound insulation rating, which is measured as an Rw value. Rw stands for weighted sound reduction index. The higher the Rw value, the better the sound insulation. For example, partitions for private offices would have a typical Rw rating of 40, whereas partitions for cinemas would be required to have a typical Rw of at least 70.

Measure of Acoustic Performance

Ctr is a sound insulation rating for low-frequency noise, like trucks and stereo subwoofers. The Ctr is a negative number ranging from about -4 to about -12; the smaller the number, the better the performance of the partition. The Ctr rating is added to the Rw value to give the combined sound insulation rating. A wall between two apartments should have an airborne sound insulation rating of Rw+Ctr 50.

Which material would be best to use to reduce sound transmission between rooms?

GTEK plasterboards provide the best lightweight building and design solutions. As they are GECA-Certified and made in state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities right here in Australia, you are assured of sustainable, quality tested technology and full compatibility with GTEK™ systems.

GTEK Sound is a high-density plasterboard for walls and ceilings. Designed to reduce unwanted noise, GTEK Sound has a higher density core than standard plasterboard.

GTEK Phonic is a perforated plasterboard where the panel perforations together with the acoustic fabric backing and insulation reduce echo and noise reverberation to create a more comfortable environment for work, leisure and education.

Impact Resistant Plasterboard

Offering the same acoustic performance as GTEK Sound, GTEK Impact is especially suitable for high-traffic areas where walls are subjected to stress, moving furniture, and bumps and knocks. Stronger than regular 13 mm plasterboard, this plasterboard for internal walls features a unique core structure and heavier paper liner. GTEK Impact is for residential and commercial applications, including educational and medical facilities, shopping centres, and transport hubs.

How to Improve the Acoustic Performance of Walls

GTEK plasterboard offers superior acoustic performance and can be used in a variety of applications, including homes, apartment buildings, schools, commercial outlets and offices. If you’re looking for effective sound isolating materials, get in touch with us for advice. We’d be happy to help you order plasterboard in bulk.

Get In Touch

Have a question? Contact us! Our team is available to answer any questions you may have.